Tuesday, October 19, 1999

Day 3 of my drive to California

Left Benton, Arkansas in the morning, driving west on I-30 to Texarkana (1:30 PM). From there, I detoured south on 34 to Terrell, Texas, to check out the town where my Kanouse ancestors settled, moving from New Jersey, in the 1850s. Not sure what I was looking for, other than seeing the town, I walked into a used book store, and struck gold. The proprietor, on hearing my story, phoned an old codger who was the authority on everything about Terrell’s history – and knew exactly where my Kanouse and Laroe ancestors were buried, down to instructions of where to find them once I got to the graveyard. Amazing!

So I found the graves of my grandfather’s grandparents, Horace Barnum Kanouse and Lydia Ann Laroe, in a plot devoted to Kanouse and Laroe relatives. My middle name is Laroe, and I’d never felt much of a connection before.

I left Terrell at 6:40, and drove on to Weatherford, Texas, where I ate at a rib joint and checked in to a Super 8 Motel. Watched the Braves win the NLCS (4 games to 2 over the Mets). Phoned Robin, read Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil. 398 Miles for the day.

No comments: