Monday, January 15, 2007

David Brodsley


While the rest of the nation rightly remembers Martin Luther King, I will always associate January 15th with my friend David Brodsley, born on this day in 1944.

We lived next door to each other in the Wilshire / Miracle Mile district as kids, and David, older by three years, was the one to first introduce me to Mad Comics (later Mad Magazine).

We drifted apart after elementary school, but became reacquainted in our college years, in Boston: he as an aspiring architect, I as a freshman at Boston University. He was married by then, and he and his wife Ronna's apartment in Back Bay became my home away from the dorms on many a weekend. Back in California, in 1970, we renewed our friendship, and remained close for decades to come.

David passed away on September 29, 2003.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I remember meeting David & family in the early 90's. What a gentle, humerous and fine human being.

Meg said...

I was thinking about David, whom I knew when he and my first husband were students at the BAC and googled him only to find your sad news.

I suppose it is a fact of life as we head into our 60s but too soon, too soon.

May I ask how it came to happen?

Kent Kanouse said...

He developed pulmonary fibrosis, despite being a lifelong non-smoker.

Meg said...

Yes, it was something we had in common - complaining about smokers! I have been very sad thinking of his untimely end. He was a good friend to me at a very difficult time in my life.

Thank you.

Unknown said...

David was a neighbor and friend. He designed some improvements to my home which truly changed my life (not kidding). I thank David nearly every day, still, for his absolutely excellent, parsimonious, creative, beautiful designs. I was thinking of him tonight 10-06-10, and will think of him with admiration, appreciation, and gratitude as long as I can think. I know this sounds over-the-top, but I can back it up with real data. Dear David, rest in beautiful, clever, useful peace.
Robert Yoder