Monday, January 29, 2007

Movie weekend


Robin got an unexpected Saturday off, so we've been catching up on movies, seeing Pan's Labyrinth and Letters from Iwo Jima in theatres, and a couple of others at home: Cabaret (1972), and Saraband (2003). My quick ratings:

**** Letters From Iwo Jima (2006) . Great film - my pick (so far) for Best Picture of 2006. See it in a theatre, not on a home screen.

*** Pan's Labyrinth (2006) . Good, but not as good as I'd expected from reviews.

**** Saraband (2003). Ingmar Bergman says it's his last movie. Sigh. When you see this movie, you know you've been run through the ringer, and seen something extraordinary.

**** Cabaret (1972).It captures the decadence of 1920-30s Berlin, the Kurt Weil-like music of the time, and great performances by Liza Minelli, Joel Gray, and Michael York. What's not to like? Nothing, from Robin and my point of view. Son James was more subdued in his praise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Saraband was superior to Scenes From A Marriage...possibly because the peripheral characters are more interesting than Johan, who is simply wretched...

Kent Kanouse said...

I haven't seen Scenes From a Marriage - it's near the top of my list of "want to see"'s. But it's hard to imagine it being better than Saraband. Saraband is the kind of movie that has you thinking about it for days